21 July 2008

Leaving on a Jet Plane

As some of you know, I will be returning to The States shortly. Sorry I have not blogged lately. The computer in Serenje died, and I didn't need to come to Lusaka, so I have no internet access until now. I have a lot to write about, and feel kinda funny about having to write it all up when I am back in the US. I feel it makes it less interesting if everyone knows that I'm slightly less likely to lop off limbs with axes. Oh well.

For now I will just say that I have had a fantastic year here. I've learned a lot about the world, various skills, and I daresay even myself. I will be sad to leave this place with its friendly people and laid back lifestyle. I'll miss living in nature as opposed to on top of concrete on top of nature. I'll miss the strange constellations at night, and knowing when it's a full moon. I'll miss our quaint little hut and our nshima. I'll also be missing our remaining cat, 4 chickens and 6 chicks. Most of all I will be missing Carrie.

Back into the fray I go.

4 comments:

Al said...

Hey there, Doug! Glad to hear that you are coming back to the States again! Emilie mentioned it to me the week before last that you might be...and, well, I guess it's definite now! Just on a lark, I went to your Facebook and remembered how you made your blog about Africa. Seeing as how I had all the time in the world to read it (...I was on a 4 week medical leave from my job because I just had my spleen removed at the end of June...OH, fun. HA!), I did, indeed, read your whole blog! Everything you went through was just amazing...good, bad, whathaveyou. Your experience was truly unique! I had a great time reading every last word. My personal favorite story was when you were pulling the bug worms out of your skin with a safety pin...though, I have a strong feeling that might not be a favorite experience of yours. Haha... ;-)

Well, I wish you a very safe trip back to the states and mayhaps our paths will cross soon. Take care!

~Allison :-)

Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Doug,

Yay, you're coming back! Julie and I wanted to surprise you at the airport , but after a half n hour of internet sleuthing (trying to find phone numbers of your relatives, looking up potential flight arrival times if you left yesterday, stealing your identity information, etc.) I figured there's a high chance your flight is due back in less than an hour and Julie isn't even out of bed yet. There's no way we'll catch that sneaky 28X in time. So instead of bugging your relatives with phone calls with the slim chance that we'll catch you at the airport, I'll get to work tidying up the castle for its king's return. Let me know when you'd like to come over. We'll cook you an awesome welcome-back meal. P.S. Julie just woke up. She's clucking like a chicken. We're big fans of your video. Julie thinks it would've been better if you did the chicken dance, but, to be honest, I think she has no clue how to produce funny Zambian chicken clucking videos for youtube.

Unknown said...

Doug,

Just in case you don't have my number any more, it is 814-279-9943. This is my last week working at summer camp. Then I'll have a week off, then Julie and I will be going on a two week volunteer vacation to Costa Rica (tell ya more about that in person). We're thinking about going white water rafting at Ohiopyle State Park sometime (possibly between Aug 3 and 6). Can we please take you too? (Totally on us, btw!) Hopefully see you soon!

Peace,
Jamie W