03 September 2007

Ubwafia Sana (Very Problem)

So unfortunately Carrie and I are back in Lusaka, where everything is 10x as expensive as the village and people aren't as nice. Although being able to eat Indian food and Pizza is nice I suppose.

The 'very problem' is that apparently a letter from the clinic at which I want to work along with my resume are no sufficient to apply for a work permit according the the hardass immigration officer of Serenje. And of course you can't volunteer without a work permit. His approach varies between detective "everything you say is being recorded so I will catch any contradictions you are making", helpful and dutiful Zambian official "you see these two flags on my desk; America and Zambia, we are one" (to which I replied "well if we are one then I don't even need a work permit, right?"), and highly educated bastard who likes to hear himself talk "you see this paper, this certifies that I have taken all of these courses, in your country. Now all you have is this paper, which anyone could type on a computer, it does not certify you" (his was no more official than a resume and could also have been typed on a computer by anyone). Basically we talked for maybe 4 hours, him nitpicking everything I had and every defense I used. He even accused me of trying to contravene Zambian law with a penalty of 1 million Kwacha (like $250) because I had gotten a visitors' visa though I wanted to volunteer. Finally, after making Carrie cry because he needed to expound upon something ridiculous and yelled at her for interrupting him in the middle of his monologue, he felt guilty enough to extend my visitors visa without penalty for another month. Just so I could gather the necessary documentation including a letter from the Ministry of Health in Lusaka offering me a position of employment. He says that everything is centralized in Zambia, so the offer must come from the very top of the Ministry, as opposed to from the people with whom I am actually going to be working with. Ugh, frustrating. I would understand if I was getting paid, but it's silly to go through all this rigmarole just to volunteer.

Carrie and I got to Lusaka yesterday, partially in a totally bwana fast and free ride with an accountant. This morning I went to the headquarters of the MOH and was told I need to type up a letter of my intentions. Luckily the nice people on the ground floor let me use one of their computers to do so. Tomorrow I will go back to find out if they agreed to write the letter or not. If not, I may have to leave and re-enter the country every 3 months and not be able to volunteer with the clinic legally. Or I might try and volunteer with the Neighborhood Health Committees in Mplembe, who don't have an astonishing hierarchy and bureaucracy to get a letter from.

On a lighter note, we got 2 chickens; Fireball and Pocahontas - who are fun to watch and feed but lay no eggs because they are too young (the villagers lied!). We might also get another one that will actually lay eggs now as opposed to 2 or 3 months from now. We build a really askew and unstable chicken house of of bamboo, natural fiber (for which I had to rip the bark off of the musamba tree), thatch, and sticks. It's on a really stable platform though. Sometimes the chickens (or kitchens as my headman likes to call them) follow me around because they want peanuts, and sometimes they run away from me when I try to capture them (they usually try to sleep over at the neighbors' house because they deem themselves subservient to the rooster next door [feminism hasn't caught on among humans nor chickens in Zambia, much to my dismay]). The best is disabling a giant locust and then watching the chickens try to choke it down. Anyway, needless to say they provide hours of entertainment.

The garden is surviving multiple attack from the mole or whatever it is. Sweet potatoes are nice because you can replant the half-eaten stems and they will try to grow the tubers all over again. Swiss chard and green bean are not so lucky. At least it's less water to carry I suppose. That's what we would call the proverbial silver lining of the insidious storm cloud of rodent destruction. Clinical Officer Kasolo claims he has a solution to all of our mole woes which he will reveal upon our return. We recently made a new bed permaculture style - with all of the vegetables and fruits all mixed up with eachother and little space between anything. Carrie doesn't think it's viable. I think it's going to be awesome. The mice will be so confused by the great variety of vegetation that they won't be able to even find the tomatoes to take bites out of! I think we need more compost though, because the soil is pretty poor. The chickens aren't pooping enough. The passionfruit plant is growing spectacularly. And most of the mango flowers on one of the trees has set fruit. Apparently all the fruits will be ripe in November or December. I have a feeling the banana tree will beat that because I have been sneaking it water.

I repaired my crappy bike so it's tolerably rideable. Carrie was away all week and it was rather lonely, though the neighbor kids tried to provide company by sitting on our back porch staring at me while I built the chicken house. Periodically the headman would come over to tell me how the chicken house is wrong and not strong. Zambians have a very set way of doing absolutely everything and put no stock in the idea that there is more than one solution for a given problem. Our neighbor, Iron Mumba, wanted to do the roof of the chicken house and the headman wanted to help build the stand, because they felt I was doing it wrong. I showed them that posts don't have to be as big around as one's leg when you used cross-bracing, and that even Muzungus can thatch a roof. I felt kinda bad about helping deforest Zambia with the saplings I harvested to build everything. But then I though about all of the waste and pollution that would be generated were I to build a chicken house in the U.S. and I felt better. I'd probably use lumber which was harvested far away and took a lot of energy to saw and ship around. Then I'd use nails and screws whose metal had been strip-mined from the earth, maybe coated in plastic which was derived from oil too. It's neat being in direct interaction with the earth. I think that's what I'm liking best about Zambia. In the villages, almost everything is done by hand, and all materials are directly from the environment around them. I wish our garden was good enough that we could grow all our own food, but maybe in time.

We got a beehive built (badly) in Serenje and set it up in the mango grove out back. No bees so far. I think either the entrance is too small or the top bars are too irregular and leave gaps that the bees find unacceptable. I think we'll get the carpenter in Mplembe to make new ones. Maybe the bees will be in there by the time we get back. Who knows.

The neighbors are always asking for food, which I usually grudgingly give them because we have so much more and their kids bellies stick out a bit too far. Fortunately (and unfortunately) they are setting up some fields behind their house for finger millet and sorghum. The unfortunately is because they chopped down a huge swath of trees which they are going to burn. The headman and I were especially upset about this huge mupundu tree they cut down. They are handsome trees and they produce tasty little fruits. Oh well, I guess it's good that they are moving towards self-sustenance. Anyway, I'm thinking we could help them set up a garden too, to grow some vegetables to go with all of their carbohydrate-providing staples. Give a person a fish feed them for a day...

My Bemba vocab hasn't increased much as things have been too busy for bemba lessons. I'm getting more comfortable with the language overall though. Oh! Maurice, the carpenter (who is a really stellar craftsman, Dad - you should see his doors, the wood here is so beautiful) speaks French alongside Bemba and some English. It was neat conversing in French, except I would always use awe and ee instead of non and oui by accident. You'd be proud of me Mom, I didn't screw up my French too much.

Nonna, thank you for your letter! I'm glad you liked Sicko and are so politically radical. I always knew I had the coolest grandmother.
Emilie, Foucault isn't too dry. Also, did you ever get my happy birthday text message? Big congratulations on getting a real job! I hope you like it and your new compartment.
Tony, I wait on tenterhooks for the 14 pounds of glory that is Molecular Biology of the Cell.
John, did you manage to get my account straightened out?

I hope everyone is in good health and trucking along just fine. Much love, Doug

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Aaah that is awful about volunteering not working out so easily. Seriously, you'd think that it would be easier to try to help someone. I'm sure things will pan out, it always takes a lot longer than seems necessary.
At Colleen's and we're baking cookies for her birthday (she says hello).
Something told me to check your blog, glad I did! Maybe you'll catch this post before you head out?
Mailed you a package the other day-- hope it gets there safely! There's some definite goodies in there.
Went to the Labor Day gathering up on Riga on Friday-- saw pretty much everyone who's still around and met some new members of your family along with new Riga folk, which was fun. Did I ever tell you that our note was successful and that the Cotter's called me about renting there place? My parents were able to rent it this past week and hopefully will next summer too.
Never got the text! That makes me sad but thanks for the thoughts and trying to get the message my way, wonderful of you.
Will send more updates and questions via email soon.
Stay well and stay zen. Where are the pictures?!
Much love,
Emilie

Anonymous said...

heyyy doug,
well i cant write long cuz i gotta get goin.. but i will be reading your newest blog entry on the way to school (i printed it)..
byee
Jess

Anonymous said...

Hello Doug,
Good to read your news, but sorry it is such a hassle to work in the country; amazing that someone who wants to volunteer to do good in their country is given such a hard time. Guess the adage "no good deed goes unpunished" has some validity. I hope you can work things out. Try to be patient with the guy if you have to deal with him again as he has the upper hand. If you have the # for friend of Julie's in the embassy there, call her. Also I am giving you the # for the man Melissa Wells gave me in March. He is with Impact East Africa- I have no idea where that is in relation to Zambia, but in case here are ways to reach him if you think it feasible. Harish Rupania,
(O) 2727823/2845000.(H)4441443;cell 0733614355;e-mail rupania@wananchi.com
Melissa Wells is married to granpa's brother Alfred, lives in the Canary Isands. she was an ambassador to two countries in Africa, and her last and final post was in Estonia.
I am hoping to mail the package tomorrow; cannot find Heirloom cherry tomatoes at this time of year, but did get spinach and marigold seeds. Emily got the other seeds so hopefully you and Carrie will have what you need.
I love your descriptions of life there with the chickens, the bees, the locals and their customs and your progress with the garden. It all sounds so interesting- such a different lifestyle, and though at times difficult, a certain beauty in the simplicity of their lives.
LIfe is so hectic here, usually bad news coming at us in most directions.
Diana brought me a pin from Cape Cod which says 01.20.08 Bush's Last Day. I wear it with gusto!!
You mention another clinic in Mplembe where you might be able to volunteer. How close is Mplembe to where you are living now?
I think Labor Day week-end on Riga was gorgeous, weather wise with lots of activity, usual party, this year at the Forge. Lindsay said it was really crowded with a good band but they ran out of food.
I am leaving the 8th to drive to Salisbury with my former neighbor; will stay with Lindsay and Ali in Falls Village and return on the 15th.Had thought I could stay for Conrad's wedding, but need to get home.
Take care of yourself; things wil work out.
Much, much love to you and Carrie,
Nonna
Jess is reading "Slaughterhouse Five". Just started it tonight so don't know what she thinks of it. I know Vonnegut is a favorite of yours!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the packages! Hope Jess likes Slaughterhouse 5 - one of my favorites. Stayed an extra day hoping for the letter. Of course in the course of all this time, my request just got redirected to a different department. Damn bureaucracies (sp) I look forward to heading back to village anarchy. Gotta go!

Love, Doug

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Well hello Doug! I just got done reading your blog and found it very interesting. I hope you can get a bountyfull garden going you surly will be the envy of the village. Maybe you can gat your hands on some fertalizer in one of the peasecorp camps. Good luck with your chikens if you can gather some loose grass and put it in one corner of the pen they may think it is a nest and start laying eggs! I know when my father had chickens he would put straw in the nesting box so the chickens would know wear to lay the eggs,I guess it is just natural for birds to lay eggs when there is a nest handy, it might be worth a try. I certanly hope they don't give you any more bullshit getting your work papers. People back here don't understand all the crap you go through just so you can help another human being learn to grow food and live a more sanitary life.As i've told Carrie be carefull and watchout for each other. May God bless and show you both how to reach out to those around you Uncle Bill

John Placais said...

Hey Brother... Everything here is moving along at a lightning pace. I am dating this really cool girl named Daphne, and it is going very well! I have been learning to Kite Surf, and can actually get up on the board now, it's so fun! It's my BDay soon! And life is just full. I'm very lucky and happy.

I hope both you and Carrie are healthy and safe. I love you brother, and again, sorry about the loan confusion, I was in the middle of trying to put out many fires.

One last thing, check out this link! New cheap affordable laptops for every child around the world!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/19/olpcs-xo-gets-previewed-in-its-final-form/